multi netCDF descriptor file in Linux

Hello,

I know this question is addressed in the FAQ and was also submitted to the
this list in March 1999, but I am still having trouble. My problem is
identical to the earlier message, which appears to not have a reply.

I recently switched from using an SGI running Irix v6.5 and Ferret v5.22
over to a PC running Linux Redhat v6.4 and Ferret v5.22. When I try to use
the same descriptor file that I used on the SGI, I get the following error
in Linux:

 **TMAP ERR: Error in namelist record
             Error in: FORMAT_RECORD; or file not descriptor file
             Data set: ./running.des

I have set the environmental variable XLFRTEOPTS to "namelist=old", but
the error still occurs. What do I need to do in order to make descriptor
files work under Linux?

Thanks in advance.

-Bill

                        Bill Gustafson
_____________Ph.D. Candidate, Atmospheric Science___________

Land, Air and Water Resources
University of California, Davis
1 Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8627                           (530)752-1868
U.S.A.                                      ivor@ucdavis.edu