Re: suppress the label "DATA SET: filename" at top of a contour plot

Hi Andrew and Steve,

You will also find that Ferret defines a symbol for you
    LABNUM_DSET = "5"

You can use this in a command like
    GO unlabel ($LABNUM_DSET)
without knowing the actual label number.

Following a plot try SHOW SYMBOLS and you'll see a number of helper symbols
like this.

    - steve

=====================================

Andrew Wittenberg wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Steve Knox wrote:
> > How can I suppress the "DATA SET: nppx2030c-b.asc" label at the top of a
> > contour plot?
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Check out the mail archives at
>    http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives
> by doing a search for "unlabel".  You'll see that one can remove
> individual labels with the unlabel.jnl script that comes with Ferret.  The
> first time you make a plot, do
>
> ppl list labels
>
> to get the number of the label you want to remove.  Say it's number 5.
> From then on when you make this plot, you can selectively remove this
> label as in the following example:
>
> use coads_climatology
> fill/set/line/key/title="this title gets displayed"/l=1 sst
> go unlabel 5
> ppl fill
> ppl contour/over
>
> Note the dataset label is no longer there.  To see the grid cells, you can
> replace FILL with SHADE.
>
> If you want to remove ALL the labels, then add certain ones back in,
> try this example:
>
> use coads_climatology
> fill/set/line/key/nolab/l=1 sst
> ppl title "This is a title at the bottom"
> ppl xlab "x label here"
> ppl ylab "y label here"
> ppl fill
> ppl contour/ov
> label 200 100 0 0 .2 "This is a label at the top"
> label 5 115 -1 0 .12 "Generated ($date)"
>
> Hope this solves your problem.
>
> Andrew

> Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
> andyw@splash.princeton.edu                        Princeton University

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744