Re: suppress the label "DATA SET: filename" at top of a contour plot

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Steve Knox wrote:
> How can I suppress the "DATA SET: nppx2030c-b.asc" label at the top of a
> contour plot?

Hi Steve,

Check out the mail archives at
   http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives
by doing a search for "unlabel".  You'll see that one can remove
individual labels with the unlabel.jnl script that comes with Ferret.  The
first time you make a plot, do

ppl list labels

to get the number of the label you want to remove.  Say it's number 5.
>From then on when you make this plot, you can selectively remove this
label as in the following example:

use coads_climatology
fill/set/line/key/title="this title gets displayed"/l=1 sst
go unlabel 5
ppl fill
ppl contour/over

Note the dataset label is no longer there.  To see the grid cells, you can
replace FILL with SHADE.

If you want to remove ALL the labels, then add certain ones back in,
try this example:

use coads_climatology
fill/set/line/key/nolab/l=1 sst
ppl title "This is a title at the bottom"
ppl xlab "x label here"
ppl ylab "y label here"
ppl fill
ppl contour/ov
label 200 100 0 0 .2 "This is a label at the top"
label 5 115 -1 0 .12 "Generated ($date)"

Hope this solves your problem.

Andrew

Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
andyw@splash.princeton.edu                        Princeton University