Re: unstructured mesh

Hi Sanjin,

Ferret does not have a native ability to deal with an
unstructured mesh. However, Ferret has two capabilities that can
allow you to adapt it to the task:

  1. It can contour on arbitrary curvilinear coordinate systems
     so long as the underlying topology of the data looks like a
     simple matrix
  2. You can write your own FORTRAN or C code into a Ferret
     "external function" it will be linked  dynamically

If you can conceive of a 2D coordinate system that would
represent your data well graphically (curvilinear_x,
curvilinear_y) and you can write a regridding function

    MY_TRANSFORM(my_var_on_a_mesh,
                 my_mesh_x,
                 my_mesh_y,
                 my_mesh_connectivity_matrix,
                 curvilinear_x,
                 curvilinear_y)

then you can solve your problem.

    - steve

--
Steve Hankin
NOAA/PMEL, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070