Re: journal file

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Steve Knox wrote:
> How can I completely eliminate the journal file.  Is my only option to
> "Fpurge" and then remove the most recent by hand?

Hi Steve,

Not sure if you want to be this extreme, but I got rid of the ferret.jnl
files once and for all: by wrapping the ferret command in a shell script
called "start_ferret", e.g.

#!/bin/csh -f
#start_ferret
$FER_DIR/bin/ferret $*
set nonomatch; rm -f ferret.jnl*; unset nonomatch

Create this file, then at the shell prompt do
   % chmod +x start_ferret
to make it executable, then run start_ferret.  You might want to put
start_ferret in your path.

You could make the wrapper remove print metafiles as well.  Wrappers can
also be convenient if you run ferret on multiple platforms -- you can
write switch..case statements to do platform-dependent settings.

Good luck!

Andrew

Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
andyw@splash.princeton.edu                        Princeton University