overprinting character labels

Dear Ferret users,

I would like to use an overbar to denote climatological variables in some
Ferret labels, and I'm thinking an overprinted superscript minus (-) would
work nicely.  The PlotPlus manual indicates that a backslash (\) is used
to print over the previous character, but Ferret interprets \ as an escape
character and so this method doesn't seem to work.  Has anyone thought of
a way to overprint characters in Ferret?  It could be done with stacked
labels, but positioning them would be a pain.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Andrew

Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
andyw@splash.princeton.edu                        Princeton University