Re: reading ASCII data file

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Irina Marinov wrote:

> I have many ASCII data files which have a header of 8 lines, 3 columns of
> data and then some 8 lines of unwanted text. Is there any way to skip the
> 8 lines of text at the end ? The command
>    set data/ez/skip=8/columns=3/var="depth,data,stdev" mydataset.dat
> doesn't work because I have those 8 lines of unwanted text at the end.

Hi Irina,

Here are two suggestions.

1) Define an input grid within Ferret:
yes? sp echo "let n =" \`wc mydataset.dat | awk '{print $1}'\` > tmp.jnl
yes? go tmp
yes? def axis/x=1:`n-16`:1 xax
yes? def grid/x=xax g
yes? set data/ez/skip=8/col=3/var="depth,data,stdev"/grid=g mydataset.dat

This method gives you explicit control over the grid that the data is
placed on -- you can change the "def axis" command to suit your needs.

- or -

2) Remove the offending lines outside of Ferret:
Save the following shell script as "cut_last":

# Shell script: cut_last
# Usage: cut_last nlines filename
set keep = `wc $2 | awk '{print $1}'`
@ keep = $keep - $1
head -n $keep $2 > $2.cut

Then at the shell prompt do

% chmod +x cut_last
% cut_last 8 mydataset.dat

This method lets you read the resulting "mydataset.dat.cut" using your
original idea.  The results will be placed on Ferret's "EZ" grid.

Good luck!

Andrew

Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
andyw@splash.princeton.edu                        Princeton University