Ferret PostScript and Xerox (Tektronix) Printer

Hello,

We've installed new Xerox Phaser 850 printers, and PostScript printed
from Ferret exhibits a problem in which text in labels is missing some
"ink".  For example, periods in numbers are missing.  The tops of zeros
are missing.

I contacted Xerox about this, and sent them samples.

Would someone comment on Xerox's response?

|> I received your files and printed them on a number of different printers
|> including both PostScript level 2 and 3 printers and both Xerox Tektronix
|> Phaser and DocuPrint printers.  Only the newer PostScript level 3 Phaser
|> printers failed to print the dots in the precip.delta.zonal.ps file.  I'll
|> need to do some additional checking to find out why.  I'll keep you posted.
|>
|> However, it is our recommendation that, as much as possible, you use either
|> PostScript level 3 or level 2 to print to the Phaser printers.  The
|> precip.delta.zonal.ps file is PostScript level 1 whereas the spam.ps file
|> is PostScript level 3.

The file spam.ps was created by passing the precip file through ps2ps,
from which the printout is good (no missing ink).

The environment this is running in is Solaris 2.6.

Thank you for your time.

==Leonard E. Sitongia
--Information Systems Group / Climate and Global Dynamics
  P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO 80307  USA
  sitongia@ucar.edu    voice: (303)497-1338   fax: (303)497-2699