Re: GKS problem

Hi Francisco,

It is only the first message that you need to pay attention to.
"Specified connection identifier is invalid" is the GKS
equivalent of the X windows message
    "Error: Can't open display:"

In most cases from a cron job you would want to use
	ferret -gif
thereby bypassing X windows altogether.

If you really want X windows output, check to make sure that the
environment variable DISPLAY is correctly defined in your cron
job. As an experiment, you could try a simple X command like
"xclock" from cron.

    - steve

==================

Francisco Pastor wrote:

>     Hi ferreters
>
>     I am running Ferret from a shell script to produce daily plots of some variables. In the sh script I
> export the variable FER_DIR (export FER_DIR=/usr/local/ferret) so Ferret can properly run.
>
>     When I run the script it works fine but when I use it with cron it gives the following error
> messages:
>
> > yes? gopenws()   21 Specified connection identifier is invalid
> > gactivatews()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the state WSOP or in the state
> > WSAC
> > gsetdeferst()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
> > gsetlinerep()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
> > ginqmaxwssttables()   22 Specified workstation type is invalid
> > gclearws()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the state WSOP or in the state WSAC
> > gdeactivatews()    3 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in the state WSAC
> > gactivatews()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the state WSOP or in the state WSAC
>
> > ginqwsconntype()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
> > gsetwswindow()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
> > gescsetdcsize()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
> > /web/meteo/scripts/torres/aras/ferret.aras[21]: 128 Bus error(coredump)
>
>     What's the difference between running it "by hand" and using cron? It is the same problem a user is
> having when trying to run Ferret from
> its PC (running Xwin).
>
>     Working in a HPC200 with HP-UX.10.20.
>
>     Thanks in advance
>

> > Francisco Pastor
> > Meteorology Department
> > Fundacion CEAM, Spain
> > paco@ceam.es
> > http://www.gva.es/ceam
> > Tel: 34 96 131 82 27
> > Fax: 34 96 131 81 90
> > * Las opiniones aqui expresadas son exclusivas del autor *
> > *  La Fundacion CEAM declina cualquier responsabilidad   *
> > * Opinions expressed here are only those from the author *
> > *       Fundacion CEAM rejects any responsability        *

Steve Hankin
NOAA/PMEL, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080 -- FAX (206) 526-6744