How to extract file name to symbol?

Does anyone know how to get the complete file name corresponding to a
dataset number, and place it in a string symbol?  Ferret will display the
info with, e.g.,

yes? show data/brief 4
     currently SET data sets:
    4> /net/atw/dynamic/predict/cz/diags/diag439/climatology.nc

but I can't figure out how to get hold of that file name so I can use it
in a script.  Is it stored in an internal ppl symbol somewhere?  Or is
there any way to send the output of "show data" to a file?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Andrew

Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
andyw@splash.princeton.edu                Sayre Hall, Forrestal Campus
                                                  Princeton University
                                              Princeton, NJ 08544-0710