How to call SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_XY

Dear Ferret users,

I am trying to use external function SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_XY. Following the
manual I define two axis, e.g.

define axis/x=-10:18:1 xax
define axis/y=-30:10:1 yax

and read my data
set data/EZ/variables="-,-,times,lats,lons,var" myfile.dta

With list I can show, that the data are correct, the axis can be
checked with show axis.

Now following the manual I try

let out = SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_XY(lons, lats, var, xax, yax, 2, 2, 2, 2)

list out

stops with the error
**ERROR: variable unknown or not in data set: YAX

I think, I am using the wrong syntax, but I cannot find examples
neither in the manual nor in the FAQ's.
Introducing variables xax and yax (not axis) does not work too.

An example which works would be of great help.

Many thanks in advance,
Martin