disk space followup

Greetings,

It seems that I'm having a similar problem to one discussed in the mailing
list archives (subject: Disk Space from: Muyin Wang).  The data I'm
working with is ncep reanalysis which saves the variable as type short.  I
read the variable into ferret, do some manipulation, and go to write it
out as a netcdf file and ferret writes it as a float so the file doubles
in size.  From the manual is says that if /format= is specified then the
/precision= statement is ignored.  Is there a workaround so that we can
write data to a netcdf file as type short or can this option be added to
future versions of Ferret?

Thanks.

Brent

--