gif files

Hi Ferreters,

I'm using the linux version of ferret and, as I see in the mailing list
archives, am having the same trouble with .gif images that others have
had.  Currently I've using the spawn xwd workaround that Steve Hankin
mentioned in 1998 but the files that it produces are quite large (2 orders
of magnitude larger than the corresponding gif).  Running in -gif mode
does produce correct gif files but I like to have the X-window there so I
can get the plots correct before I save to file.  I was just curious if
anyone had figured out a way to produce the .gif files directly or if
there was a fix for this proposed in later versions?

Cheers,
Brent

--
Brent A. McDaniel