climatology question

Greetings.  I'm still getting warmed up with ferret so please bear with me
if I sound lost.  I'm trying to calculate the climatology for a ncep/ncar
reanalysis daily data for several years (each file contains 1 variable).

So, the first thing I need to do is open the string of files together
using an MC descriptor file (does anyone have one for ncep renalysis
handy?).  Assuming that works, I'll have data from jan-1-1957 to
dec-31-1999 with no missing data.  Now, I've read the FAQ about
calculating climatologies but it doesn't seem like I can use
climatological_axes as I want to keep things on a daily grid.  Can I just
do something like: *air is the variable contained in the data files*

open all the files....
define grid/like=air air_grid
let air_timerange = air[t=1-jan-1957:31-dec-1999]
let air_climatology = [GT=air_grid@mod]

?

This leads to more questions, such as :leap years and how'll they'll be
handled?  Will the air grid be of 366 or 365 points?  Will the regridding
work correctly?

Or is this the wrong approach and do I need to use the @ave or @sum and
@ngd?

Thanks in advance.  I hope that I've made myself clear, if not, let me
know and I'll try to explain more clearly.

Cheers,

Brent

 --
Brent A. McDaniel