Multiple time axes...

Perhaps this is more of a netCDF question.

I've got data that comes out of our model every 10th day. I've also got data
that is written out at the end of every month. I'd like both to be in the same
netCDF file (they're originally in ASCII).

The one solution I've found that works is to define two time axes, one with
the NF_UNLIMITED attribute, the other without (as netCDF 3 allows only one
unlimited dimension) and put the two sets of values on their respective axis.

The nice thing about an unlimited dimension is that it's allowed to grow as
more data is added. Having an axis defined to be N long but only M points on
it (M much less than N) can waste a lot of space.

Is there a better solution that I've not thought of? Thanks.
--
Gary Strand                Climate Change Research Section, NCAR (303) 497-1336
strandwg@ucar.edu                          http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/ccr/strandwg