Descriptor files

Dear Ferret Users,

A relatively new person to ferret here!

I've created some descriptor files to concatenate 50 years of NCEP
re-analysis dat - some 28,000 12-hourly data files. It loads into ferret
fine and looking at files is also fine - however when I try to manipulate
the data (for example just take the square of the field), I often get the
error:

**TMAP ERR: 1st timestep in datafile different from descriptor
            Expected: 12344 Found 0

It would seem that this is just a "warning" rather than an error, and I
fear that it may well be slowing down calculations.

Cheers
Richard