Re: bathymetry overlay

Greetings,

Perhaps it is bad taste to respond to my own message, but I'll post
anyway. I found a way to generate a bathymetry overlay using the go script
fill_between, which is mentioned on the ferret FAQ :
http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/custom_plots/fill_between.html

The data is from ship track that runs primarily north-south. Thus, I am
making plots with latitude as the horizontal axis. The variables of
interest are LAT_CAST & BOTTOM_CAST. Both are defined on an axis named
cast_index, which ferret treats like a longitude axis. This latitude
longitude mismatch make my solution a little messy. Besides line-wrapping,
the solution is

define axis/y/from_data/units=degrees/name=tmp_lat lat_cast
let tmp_bottom = ysequence(bottom_cast)
go fill_between polygon/over/nolab/line/palette=white
(-1)*tmp_bottom[gy=tmp_lat@asn] tmp_lat -6000
plot/vs/over/nolab/line lat_cast,bottom_cast

The axis & variable namespaces can be cleaned up with
cancel axis tmp_lat
cancel var tmp_bottom

Keith

Keith Lindsay         http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/oce/klindsay/klindsay.html