reduce time axis

Dear Ferreters:
  I have a question regarding to reduce the NetCDF file size from a 52 year time
series to 19 years. The data contain  monthly means from 1948-1999. But I need
to create another file which is only 19year long (80-98). Is there a way to
define a new time axis inside Ferret so to create a new file which has only 19
year's data, and the starting point is jan-1980?
  I have had hard time to specigy l in ferret, any suggestions?
 Thanks,
Muyin