Vis5D

Hello,

   has anyone out there used the writev5d function that is provided with
the ferret distribution version 5.22? Does anyone know for which platforms
writev5d was programmed and/or tested? The problems I faced (on SGI and
Linux) are listed in more detail below. Unfortunately I do not have any
other platform available to carry out further tests.

Thank you very much for any hint.

Rene

When running ef_wv5d_demo.jnl on SGI IRIX I got the following

  GO vis5d_write coads_clim.v5d sst airt wspd u v slp
   **ERROR: command syntax: writev5d(sst, airt, wspd, u, v, slp, 0, 0,
  "coads_clim.v5d")
            writev5d before ( is illegal
  DEFINE VARIABLE/QUIET vflag = writev5d(sst, airt, wspd ...

For Linux I was not able to run the script either, ferret stopped with the
message

  Bailing out of external function "writev5d":
           Times must be strictly increasing 16-DEC      01:20:06 15-JAN 11:49:12

which can also be due to misinterpretation of the descriptor file in the
Linux distribution. (I modified the descriptor files with the
linuxize_descriptors script that is distributed as well.)

I then succeeded trying out the second example given in the manual
(merging coads_climatology and levitus_climatology into one file) in so
far that a v5d file was produced.

vis5d (V5.2) itself stopped with a message vis5d coads_levitus_test.v5d

> vis5d coads_levitus_test.v5d
> Error: not a v5d file

       SCAI Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing
  GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology

  Dr. René Redler
  SCAI-GMD                      Tel: +49 (0)2241 14 2331
  Schloss Birlinghoven          Fax: +49 (0)2241 14 2181
  53754 Sankt Augustin          www.gmd.de/SCAI/people/redler.html