Re: Movies/Animations (gif to mpeg)

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Jeremy S Pal wrote:

Mail 1:
> I now have an mpeg that plays using mpeg_play.
> However, it does not play on windows 2000 machine.  Do you have
> any idea how to adjust the parameters within the param file that
> can get it to work on a windows machine?  (I would like to use
> the mpeg in a PowerPoint presentation.)

Mail 2:
> In case you are interested, to get the movies to play on windows
> machines, it seems that magnitude of IQSCALE, PQSCALE, and
> BQSCALE is crucial.  If they are too small, the movie will not
> play.

Microsoft's default MPEG player has problems with my MPEG movies, but a
free MPEG player called VMPEG (as noted by Chittibabu) plays them well
(with those scales set to 1). You can download it from
ftp://ftp.colorado.edu/cns/pc/Win95/HelperApps/vmpeg17.exe. I don't use
Windows, and therefore did no more than verify that VMPEG works. I cannot
say if it will work out of powerpoint.

Regards, Shankar.

P.S.: I've not yet seen a Win2000 machine; my test of VMPEG was on
Win 95/98.

D. Shankar                           Ph. (O): [91](832) 22 6253 * 4312/4400
Physical Oceanography Division,                         22 1322 * 4312/4400
National Institute of Oceanography,      (R): [91](832) 23 8208
Dona Paula,                          Fax    : [91](832) 22 3340/9102
Goa 403 004,                         email  : shankar@csnio.ren.nic.in
India.                                        shankar@darya.nio.org