Re: disk space

  Hi Muyin -

Most likely the NCEP daily reanalysis data that you are using is
stored in an integer*2 format (half the size of a real*4) with a
scale and offset.  However, I assume that ferret, writes netcdf
files in a real*4 format.  Thus, when you remove half of the
data, the file size is approimately the same.

I am not sure if there is a way for ferret to save in the
integer*2 format (with a scale and offset).  Of course, you could
always do it in Fortran or C.

  - Jeremy