disk space

Hi, I have an interesting question about the file size: Here I have 52 years
NCEP daily reanalysis data. I thought if I only save the NH data this would save
me lots of disk space. The data come in as NetCDF format, too. So I read in
those data in ferret, and then save only the NH by doing
save/file=temp.daily temp[y=0:90n]

But then it turs out that the original file size is 130,816,956 bytes, and the
new file is   132,246,560 bytes. Even bigger!
How come? Any suggestions?

Muyin