Opening very large datasets

Hello-

I am attempting to open a rather large NetCDF file in ferret v5.22, and have
been unsuccessful. The file is a bit over 3Gb, and the error message given by
ferret is as follows:

yes? use FILE.cdf
lnetcdf/lncx.c:1733: failed assertion `(*cp & 0x80) == 0'
Abort (core dumped)

I created the dataset from model output. I tried with a 1Gb file, and it
worked (i.e. It's not a problem with the file. ncdump output looks fine.) Is
there any way to use large files, or do I have to split them up?

Thanks.

Frederic Chagnon        (617)253-5483
Ralph M. Parsons Laboratory    48-212
Massachusetts Institute of Technology