Re: linux install

Hi Bridget -

Most likely what you are seeing is an incompatibility between RedHat linux and
Debian Linux.  The best solution would likely require building Ferret on a Debian
platform.  Unfortunately,  we don't have access to one and so would need a
volunteer to accomplish that task.  If you are so inclined, we can take this
discussion off-line and I can fill you in on the building process.

As an aside, I've had a report from a user who was able to get Ferret running on
a Debian platform.  Here is what he said in a message sent to me on how he got it
running:

I was able to run FERRET on Debian Linux 2.2 and you may ask how I
   did that ?
   I got a copy of libc.so and libm.so from the Redhat box and
   forced FERRET to use them. It can be done with the environment
   variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

   I got FERRET up and running in a dirty way. It tells me that
   the source should be recompiled.

If you have access to a RedHat machine, it sounds like it might be possible to
get Ferret running, but again, I've not tried this myself.

If you have other questions, or are interested in attempting to build Ferret,
please let me know.

Kevin

--
Kevin O'Brien   kobrien@pmel.noaa.gov
206-526-6751                    NOAA/PMEL/TMAP/JISAO