Re: Creating 3D grid from scattered data

hi Mike,

Since it appears that you have only 5 points on your Z axis (?) there is a
simple solution possible:

    LET VZ0  = scatter2gridlaplace_xy( **arguments at Z=0** )
    LET VZ25 = scatter2gridlaplace_xy( **arguments at Z=25** )
    LET VZ50 = ...
    LET VZ75 = ...
    LET VZ100 = ...

    DEF AXIS/Z=0:100:25/DEPTH  zaxis

    LET V  = IF K[GZ=zaxis] EQ 1 THEN VZ0  ELSE V2
    LET V2 = IF K[GZ=zaxis] EQ 2 THEN VZ25 ELSE V3
    LET V3 = IF K[GZ=zaxis] EQ 3 THEN VZ50 ELSE V4
    LET V4 = IF K[GZ=zaxis] EQ 4 THEN VZ75 ELSE VZ100

Your variable "V" is now the function of Z that you desire.

This approach is not the ideal solution. Ideally the function
scatter2gridlaplace_xy() should inherit the Z axis from the arguments XPTS,
YPTS, and F. In this case, as long as the variable you provide as "F" is,
itself a function of Z, so, too will the result be. I suspect it was a simple
oversight that the function does not work this way. We will look into fixing
this. Note that the function *does* inherit correctly in this manner on the T
axis.

    - steve

--

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744