Re: Ferret descriptor files on Linux

The descriptor files require a slightly different syntax under linux.
Kevin O'Brien had made available a script for converting the "usual"
descriptor files for use under linux. The script is attached.

Regards, Shankar.

D. Shankar                           Ph. (O): [91](832) 22 6253 * 4312/4400
Physical Oceanography Division,                         22 1322 * 4312/4400
National Institute of Oceanography,      (R): [91](832) 23 8208
Dona Paula,                          Fax    : [91](832) 22 3340/9102
Goa 403 004,                         email  : shankar@csnio.ren.nic.in
India.                                        shankar@darya.nio.org

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Matthew Harrison wrote:

> I'm running ferret under Linux Mankdrake version 7.1.
>
> Ferret descriptors do not appear to work properly with ferretv4.91 or
> ferretv5.11.
>
> In particular, using the "coads_clim.des" file included in the
> "mc_datasets.tar" bundle, I receive the following error message from
> ferret (v4.91 and v5.11):
>
>  set dat coads_clim.des
>  **TMAP ERR: Error in namelist record
>              Error in: FORMAT_RECORD; or file not descriptor file
>              Data set: ./coads_clim.des
>
> (This same descriptor file work on an SGI)
>
> Has anyone used descriptor files successfully on a linux machine?
#!/bin/csh
# This shell script is designed to take an existing descriptor file
# and translate it into an acceptable format for linux Ferret.  The reason this
# needs to be done is because linux Ferret was compiled w/ F90, and it
# uses different formats for namelist reads than does F77.  The usage for
# this script is:
#
#          linuxize_descriptors descriptor_name > new_descriptor_name
#
# Without the redirect, the new descriptor is written to stdout.
#
# It is also possible that the "filter" below will not completely linuxize
# every descriptor out there.  Some non-TMAP customizations may be missed, and
# will cause errors when attempting to read the descriptor into ferret.
# In that case, edits will need to be made to the sed command below to include
# the required substitution, deletion, etc.
#
# kob  6/97 - kobrien@pmel.noaa.gov

if ( $#argv != 1 ) then
	echo "    Usage:  linuxize_descriptors descriptor_name"
	echo "    Example:  linuxize_descriptors coads.des"
	exit 1
endif

ls $argv[1]  >& /dev/null

if ($status) then
	echo "File "$argv[1]" does not seem to exist. "
	echo "Exiting..............."
	exit 1
endif

sed -e '/\*\*\*/d' -e '/^*/d' -e 's/\$/\&/g' -e 's#\&END#/#g' -e '/\* /d' -e '     s/        / /g' -e '/\-\-/d' -e '/D_ADD_PARM/d' -e '/d_add_parm/d' $argv[1]