muliple viewports one colorbar key

I have defined 16 viewports for various plots. I would like to locate a
single common colorkey on one side. I've searched the archives and FAQs
but  have been unable to successfully use 'shakey' to accomplish this. I
believe the viewports that I have set up somehow interfere with locating
the colorbar. I have been able to use the LABEL command and make a
common title that spans beyond the selected viewport. Are there any
examples out there that manipulate the colorbar is a similar way?