WHERE,Mousepoint,SAMPLEXY,GIF,Polymark.jnl

Hello

i am using Ferret V. 5.0 at Linux .
Here my questions and problems:
1. WHERE
I want to use the mouse click  for getting positions. In the
documentation is descriped that for this pupose the command WHERE
(alias) exists. But I couldn't find this command or don't know how to
find it. The same problem when I use the command LABEL (without explizit
y x Positions , the program is not waiting for a mouseclick (as
descripted in
Ch6 Sec4.7. Positioning labels using the mouse pointer), it uses
automaticly a point for labeling which I have not defined.

2. SAMPLEXY
The function sampleyx at my installation does work as it is descripted
in the docu.  For example: when i have different y coordinates at the
same x coordinate, the value for each of this points will be the same
(that of the first point).  The docu say's that the function would
interpolate between the gridpoint, i have read in the archive, that just
this do not work , so I only try to get values at x,y points which lay
on the grid.

3. METAFILE
When i use the shade command (palette=white) and overlay with an plot
command POLYMARK, than it is not possible to open the postscript file,
which i convert from the metafile.
 SET MODE METAFILE metafile
 set data etopo60
 file  /var="lat,lon,d13C" d13Cxy.dat
 shade /nokey /nolabel /lev=(0,10000,10000) /pal=white
rose[d=etopo60,X=-179.5:179.5,Y=-90:90]
 set region  /X=1:950 /Y=1:950
 go polymark
poly/over/key/level=(-10,-2,2)(-2,10,1)(10,22,2)/title="delta 13 C [per
mille]" lon lat d13C square 0.5
 go land
 CANCEL MODE METAFILE

4. GIF File
   When i use 24 Bit Color depht of the monitor and produce a gif file
with ferret,  it is not possible to open the file (for example in GIMP)
it produces a crash of the viewer. With 8 Bit ther is no problem, but i
need a better color resolution

5. POLYMARK
Can't understand how to set the region and the grid in the right way for
using POLYMARK.

Thanks for solutions

Ina Uhde
begin:vcard