Re: polar projection

Natalia,

Indeed, there seems to be a bug in the way contours are drawn in the
southern hemisphere  in this and other map projection scripts.  I cannot
solve the underlying problem right now but I do have a fix that will get
you the graphic you want.

The problem is associated with the data boundaries and the solution is
do the following:

1) explicitly set the X limits
2) contour
3) set a region which overlaps the gap
4) "ppl conset 0" to prevent extra contour labels from appearing
5) contour/over/pen=same_pen_as_previous_contour
6) ppl conset ".08,,,,,,,5" to restore the default values

Here's the script that works:

use levitus_climatology
set grid temp
go mp_stereographic_south 180
set region/x=0:360/y=20S:90S/k=1
go mp_aspect
contour/noaxes temp, x_page,y_page
go mp_fland
set region/x=-20:20
ppl conset 0
contour/over/noaxes/nolabel/pen=1 temp, x_page, y_page
ppl conset .08,,,,,,,5

-- Jonathan