does 'set memory' work on Linux?

I'm trying to get my running power spectrum plot going, however I run
into an 'insufficient memory' error. Even if I increase the memory
size with set memory/size.. to cover the requested number of words, I
still get the same error. Does the set memory command work on Linux
(RH6.0)?

Set mode desperate doesn't help either. My script has the form:

-----------------------------
yes? set memory/size=6.2
yes? set mode desperate
yes? set region /Z=200:1600/T=0:0.1
yes? shade series_fft

 **ERROR: insufficient memory: 2802000 words were requested.
yes? show memory
 Current size of FERRET memory cache: 6.15 MegaWords  (1 word = 4 bytes)

I get the same error message '..insufficient memory: 2802000 words..'
whether memory is set to default (3.2Mw) or 6.2Mw. What gives?

thanks

Lev

Lev Tarasoff -  Dept of Physics, University of Toronto,
                60 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M5S 1A7
                Tel (416)-946-3019  Fax (416)-978-8905
                email: lev@atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca