Re: Integration in ferret

Hi Bernadette,

The general approach to integrating over irregular limits is to use a mask as
follows.

LET MY_Z_UPPER_LIMITS = some-function-of-Y, only
LET MASKED_U = IF Z[g=my_var] LT MY_Z_UPPER_LIMITS THEN U

The omited ELSE clause means that points whose Z coordinate exceeds
MY_Z_UPPER_L:IMIT are masked out.

Now you simple integrate using

    MASKED_U[Z=0:`max`@DIN]   where `max` is the full Z range

Notes:

   * You can omit the "0:`max` if the Z limits are undefined -- it will
     default to integrating over the full (masked) region
   * Using "... ELSE 0" in the definition of MASKED_U would be equivalent for
     purposes of integrations ... though clearly not so for averaging.

    - steve

--

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744