Re: examples using 'tic' controls

Pam,

	If you are trying to control the tics themselves, then axatic is
probably not what you want. But it kind of depends on WHAT you are trying to
do.
In fact, I am not sure that axatic even works under ferret. What you really
need is the xaxis and yaxis commands (supplemented by axlint and axnmtc)

Here is a brief example, that hopefully will tell you what you want. I will use
the etopo60 dataset which everyone probably has (if they use ferret) or at
least it is easy to get.

yes? use etopo60
yes? shade rose

I have global data (20E:20E; -90:90). By default, ferret will give 7 major tics
on the x-axis (every 50 degrees starting from 50E, labeled every other tic
mark) and no minor tic marks, and 9 tic marks on the y-axis (every 20 degrees,
centered around 0, labeled every other tic mark), and no minor tic marks.

What if I want to have a major tic mark every 45 degrees on the x-axis, and
every 30 degrees, labeled every major tic mark (you can only label MAJOR tic
marks), with minor tic marks every 15 degrees on the x-axis and every 10
degrees on the y-axis. (I will issue a set region to reposition the plot to
start at the prime meridian)

yes? set region/x=0:360
yes? shade/set rose
yes? ppl xaxis,0,360,45  ! X-axis range 0:360, major tic every 45
yes? ppl yaxis,-90,90,30 ! Y-axis range -90:90, major tic every 30
yes? ppl axlint,1,1      ! Label every major tic on X- and Y-axes
yes? ppl axnmtc,2,2      ! Minor tic every 15 on X- and every 10 on Y-axis
yes? ppl shade           ! Plot it!

Hope this helps, Mark