Vector into array...

I've looked in the documentation and I'm stymied. Not unusual for me, but here
goes:

How do I make a 1-D variable look 2-D? For example:

use dataset.nc
show d
     currently SET data sets:
    1> ./dataset.nc  (default)
 name     title                             I         J         K         L
 ONED_DATA
                                           1:442368  ...       ...       ...
!
define axis/x=1:768:1 xx
define axis/y=1:576:1 yy
define grid/x=xx/y=yy gg
let twod_data = oned_data[g=gg@asn]
shade twod_data
 **ERROR: dimensions improperly specified: can only contour or vector a 2D region
          shade twod_data
shade twod_data
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

gg is defined to have the correct number of points...

"reshape" doesn't work since I don't already have a variable with the proper
size and shape to transform.

Thanks.
--
Gary Strand