Re: Question About Variable Limits of Integration

Hi Ben,

If you perform a definite integral (@DIN) in 3 dimensions (X,Y & Z), Ferret
will perform this as a true 3-dimensional integral. Limits on an axis, which
are themselves dependent on the orthogonal axes, can be represented in the way
the variable is masked (where missing values are placed.

==> Your solution: mask the data with a mask built of your integration limits

The following example illustrates a volume integral over highly irregular
limits. Notice that the output is documented as "XYZ integ." -- indicating the
multi-dimensional integration used.

    - steve

yes? use levitus_climatology
yes? let temp_gt_15 = if temp gt 15 then temp

yes? shade/k=1 temp_gt_15
yes? shade/y=0 temp_gt_15

yes? list temp_gt_15[x=@din,y=@din,z=0:1000@din]
             IF TEMP GT 15 THEN TEMP
             LONGITUDE: 20E to 20E(380) (XYZ integ.)
             LATITUDE: 90S to 90N (XYZ integ.)
             DEPTH (m): 0 to 1000 (XYZ integ.)
             DATA SET: /home/r3/tmap/fer_dsets/descr/levitus_climatology.des
          1.028E+18

--

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744