Re: Fwd: enquiry from IIT Delhi,India

Hi Pragya,

Contouring algorithms (e.g. Ferret's CONTOUR and FILL commands) are based upon

interpolation and therefore do not work where neighboring values are flagged
as missing.

The SHADE command, however, will display wherever there is data -- no
interpolations are involved.

A common technique to obtain a nice "honest" plot for sparse or irregular
data  is to use both plot types together, as follows:

     yes? SHADE my_data
     yes? FILL/OVERLAY/LEVELS/NOLABEL my_data

Might this be applicable to your data? (Note that grayscale palettes and hatch

patterns are available if black and white plots are needed.)

    - steve