point data

Dear Ferreters,

in order to compare observational data with model output, I try to import the
observational data into ferret, following the example given in
Chapter 7A (2.4 Defining gridded variables from point data) of the online
documenatation.

My script is as follows:
!------------------------------------------------------
file/skip=1/var="index,year,month,day,lon,lat,obs" obs.dat
let lat_index=SORTI(lat)
DEFINE AXIS/FROM/NAME=lat_ax/Y/UNITS=lat SAMPLEI(lat_index, lat)
DEFINE GRID/Y=lat_ax glat
LET NEW_lat = index[g=glat] ! a dummy variable to use in RESHAPE below
LET lat_sorted_obs = SAMPLEI( lat_index, obs )
LET obs_on_lat = RESHAPE( lat_sorted_obs, NEW_lat )
PLOT obs_on_lat
plot/over/vs lat[d=1],obs[d=1]
!-------------------------------------------------------
However this does not give the desired result, namely the observational data on
a ferret lat-grid. The horizontal axis of the plot is still 'x'.

The same for longitude ('lat'->'lon', 'Y'->'x' in the above script)
works well !!!
I am using Ferret V500beta1.1 on DEC-Alpha.
What am I doing wrong ?

Any suggestions are appreciated !
Yours,

            Patrick Joeckel

Patrick Joeckel
Max Planck Institute for Chemistry
Joh.-J. Becher Weg 27
55128 Mainz                   phone:++49-6131-305452
Germany                       fax  :++49-6131-305436
                             e-mail:joeckel@mpch-mainz.mpg.de
                         http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~joeckel
Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for.