Re: Regridding

Marcelo,

	Let me restate what I think you are trying to do, and then give you a
(poor) solution.

	You are trying to map the good data values (SST) of a 2-dimensional
grid (33*18=594 total grid points) with 179 grid points being "bad" (over
continents) to a 1-dimensional grid that contains only the 415 remaining good
points.

If this is so, I only have a partial solution for you. You can use the ferret
function UNRAVEL to turn this into a 1-D grid :

yes? plot unravel(sst)

The problem is to skip over the bad-data points. I don't know of anyway to do
this in ferret directly. If you have version 5.0 you could probably do this in
an external function. I don't have this, and so the only thing I can suggest is
a multi-step process:

write out the data:
list/nohead/form=(f10.4)/file=tmp1.dat unravel(missing(sst,-9999))

Filter out the bad data values:
spawn grep -v tmp1.dat > tmp2.dat

Read in the compressed 1-d sst vector:
file/var=sst tmp2.dat

Of course, the smart people at PMEL probably have a way to filter out the bad
data values inside ferret, and so my reply to you is likely unnecessary.

Mark

--
 Mark Verschell                     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
 verschell@neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov    Code 970/Lab. for Hydrospheric Proc.

		     Better Living Through Denial
               ** USQC Certified: 100% Microsoft Free **