Re: Printing from GUI

Hi Pam,

The Ferret GUI actually issues a command similar to

    SPAWN Fprint -P printer_name -l cps -R metafile.plt&

To diagnose the problem in your specific case:

   * open the Command Line window (under the Scripts menu)
        o try the print command as usual under the File menu
        o look at the command line that was generated in the command line
          window. Does it look OK? Is it using the right printer?
        o try the identical command from the Unix prompt in the same
          directory. Work OK?

Typically the problem is that Unix is not able to find the Fprint script.
This is usually because the environment variable $FER_DIR has not been set.
If it works at the Unix command line but not in the Ferret gui check to see
if Ferret is running in a new Unix shell that may not have $FER_DIR set. An
easy way to check this:

     Type "SPAWN env | grep FER_DIR" in the command line window and
     execute it. The output will appear in the terminal window from
     which Ferret was started.

    - steve

--

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744