RE: How to do time lag correlation in ferret?

Hello Yang

This is how I do lag and lead correlations.

Use the go file variance.jnl

! Define your variables to be correlated
let p = sst
let q = wind ! (or what ever the variable names are)
go variance
contour correl ! (contours the correlations)

This will give simultaneous correlations.  To get lag and leads use the
transformation @shf when defining p or q.  For example:

Let q = wind[L=@shf:5]

The 6th time step in the original time series of q now becomes the first
etc.  Thus p (sst) leads q (wind) by 5 when you do the correlation.  You
can use negative numbers also.

Mark Williams
Supervising Meteorologist
Ph 61 3 9669 4902