Technical and Installation Information
Getting Started | Index
| Technical Information
| Files | Simple Plots
| Plots/Animations | Metadata
| Interacting with plots |
Java Version and Installation
- Check your current java version using "java -version". If the version is not "1.2" or newer
go to step 2.
- Update your java. Solaris and Windows versions of java can be found at http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.3/.
Ports to other platforms can be found at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/java-ports.cgi.
- Get the appropriate installer.
- Install following the provided directions.
Now your ready to install/run ncBrowse. Note: The InstallAnywhere scripts ask you to select a java, select the
java you just installed and proceed.
(back to top)
UNIX Installation without Installer (ncBrowse version
- Check your current java version using "java -version". If
the version is not "1.4" or newer go to Java
Version and Installation.
- Download ncBrowse.jar, lashandler.jar, noaa_pmel.jar, netcdfAll.jar, dods.jar, visad.jar,
and png.jar (left
mouse click on the links and "Save link as...") and place in
a public readable directory, for example, "/usr/local/jar".
- Create a script named "ncBrowse" and place it in your PATH.
For example, /usr/local/bin.
# JAVA_HOME is the installation directory
# for Java 2 version 1.4
# classpath for Unix cannot have spaces between components
java -cp $classpath ncBrowse.Browser $1
- Type "chmod +x /usr/local/bin/ncBrowse" and your ready to
The above jar files are all included in the installers.
Jave Graphics Engine
The Scientific Graphics Toolkit (sgt) is used
to graph one- or two-dimensional subsets defined in the Domain
Selector window. SGT is freely available with on-line examples, tutorials
and documentation. See http://www.epic.noaa.gov/java/sgt/.
(back to top)
US Dept of Commerce
NOAA / OAR / PMEL / EPIC