- A computer running Unix or Linux. Dapper has been tested on Fedora Core 4 and Red Hat Enterprise 3.
- The MySQL relational database (version 4.1.x or 5.x). MySQL is only needed if you want to serve in-situ data.
- The Java runtime enviroment or SDK (at least version 1.6.0).
- Any data installed with pre-0.9.0 versions of Dapper must be reinstalled because of changes to the database schema.
- If you installed a version of Dapper before 1.0, you will need to change the etc/dapper.properties configuration file. The etc/cdp.properties file is no longer used. Info on the new configuration file format is here.
- Get the latest version of Dapper
- Untar the dapper distribution:
tar zxf latest.tar.gz
You need to use GNU tar for this to work. Standard tar on Solaris will not work.
- Change to the directory created by untarring the distribution
- If you have an older version of Dapper, copy all of the files from <dapper.old>/resources to the resources directory.
- Load in-situ data into the database (see loading data for more details). If you want to load some sample data:
where <dbuser> is the database user name and <dbpass> is the database password. You need to have create, index, insert, select, and update privileges for this to work.
../../dapperload.sh -u <dbuser> -p <dbpass> \
create dapperexample argo_sample
../../dapperload.sh -l example.ptr -u <dbuser> -p <dbpass> \
load dapperexample argo_sample
- Configure the Dapper servlet by creating the file etc/dapper.properties. A sample file illustrating which properties are configurable is available in etc/dapper.properties.sample. For the sample data add the following:
dapper.user = <dbuser>
dapper.password = <dbpass>
- Configure the DChart servlet by copying the file dchart/etc/config.xml.sample to dchart/etc/config.xml.
- Start the server:
- Verify that the Dapper servlet is running by pointing your browser to:
You can access the DChart plotting and downloading interface by pointing your browser to:
If you have the OPeNDAP geturl program installed, you can dump data from the server by typing:
geturl -D http://localhost:8080/dods/dapperexample/argo_sample.cdp
If it doesn't work...
- Check the log files in jakarta/logs/ for error messages