Re: When

Adam,

there is a third solution:

LAS provides also for another way of creating virtual datasets (beside
categories)

In an XML datset description file, you can redefine for each variable
the actual filename that contains it;
See the following example:

<datasets>
<EC1_Historic_time_nc name="Simulation run 1 with green-house gas"
url="file:dummy.nc" doc="">
  <variables>

<!-- Below, the attribute "url" allows for defining the actual file path
and name -->
   <CORESERV name="RESERVOIR   "

url="file:/home/glo_data/Discendo/Europe/1950-1999/EC1/EC1_1m_195001_199912_CORESERV.nc">
    <link match="/lasdata/grids/Medias_flat_monthly_1950_1999_grid"/>
   </CORESERV>

   <PLDETESU name="TEMPERATURE "

url="file:/home/glo_data/Discendo/Europe/1950-1999/EC1/EC1_1m_195001_199912_PLDETESU.nc">
    <link match="/lasdata/grids/Medias_flat_monthly_1950_1999_grid"/>
   </PLDETESU>

Then, variables TEMPERATURE and RESERVOIR seem to be in the same dataset
(file): EC1_Historic_time_nc that appears under the name="Simulation run
1 with green-house gas"

Hope this helps

Jean-Marie
CERFACS