Question about time series data

Hi dear LAS users
I have some time series data collected from buoys. The one I'm trying to add into LAS is only one dimensional , i.e. time dimension. It has variables
like salinity and temperature. I created coards netcdf files upon the raw data
, then used "addXML.pl" and "make" to update LAS. Here is my question. Do I have to define the variable, say "salinity", with longitude and latitude dimensions in the coards netcdf file? Initially, I just defined one dimension "time_series" in my netcdf file,
and "salinity" has only this dimension, however when I ran "addXML.pl", I got an error saying "salinity" missed lon/lat, therefore I modified my netcdf file, added lon/lat and successfully ran the "addXML.pl" command. But I'm still wondering is this necessary? Since the raw data doesn't
contain any lon/lat information, it's a bit awful to add the fake lon/lat into the netcdf file.
Thanks a lot , Ding