Input of sparse data sets

I have been using Ferret for some time now, and I have often wished for a
method of inputting sparse data sets more efficiently.  What I would really
like to be able to do is input data from a file where each record is an
n-tuple:

[I,J,K,L,V1,V2,...,Vm]

Where (I,J,K,L) are the 4-dimensional matrix indices, and V1,...,Vm are
values for variables.  Data at all other indices would be considered
missing.  Unless I'm mistaken, this is not possible in Ferret at present.
Is there any hope of adding this capability to version 5?

A flexible input method that would allow one to read ASCII or binary
records; to specify the byte-lengths of the indices and variables for binary
files; and perhaps to have a scale and offset applied (like NetCDF
files)would be a valuable addition to Ferret.