Re: shade all postive contours bar first?

On Nov 14, 10:12pm, Mark Collier wrote:
> does anyone know how I can shade all positive contour bands bar
> the first? This tends to look good, if contours are also overlayed.
> I'm wanting to make this operation reasonably automatic or at
> least as easy as the default of shading all contour bands.

I am not exactly sure I follow you, but let me take a stab at it. Let's say for
example
you have a contour range (in the positive) of (0,20,2). Then to fill (or shade)
all but
the 0 to 2 range you would use:

fill/lev=(2,20,2) ....

If you want to still contour all your levels then:

fill/lev=(2,20,2) ....
contour/over/nolab/lev=(0,20,2) ....

And if you have negative contours you want to fill also (for example):

fill/lev=(-20,0,2)(2,20,2) ....
contour/over/nolab/lev=(-20,20,2)

As far as making it automatic? That would depend on your particular
application.
I suspect that something could be done with the version 4.0 "immediate mode"
for
mathematical expressions. you could set up a .jnl file that you call to do the
above. Something like (in outline form):

fill/lev=($2,0,$4)(`0+$4`,$3,$4) $1
contour/over/nolab/lev=($2,$3,$4) $1

where the $1 is the expression you want to contour, $2 is the lowest contour,
$3 is
the highest contour, and $4 is the interval.  Then a call to this journal file
would like like

go shade_allbut_first temp[d=1] -20 20 2

Hope this helps, Mark

	      Mark Verschell (markv@coaps.fsu.edu)
	      Center for Ocean and Atmospheric Prediction Studies
	      020 Love Building
	      Florida State University
	      Tallahassee, FL  32306-3041
	      (904) 644-6532
              (904) 644-4841 (fax)

Dept of Commerce / NOAA / OAR / ERL / PMEL / TMAP