[ferret_users] modulo=0 ?

Dear Ferret users and developers,

I was wondering how the modulo=0 setting is interpreted by Ferret and how common this convention is.

I tried to look up how modulo is defined in the CF convention and was a bit surprised that it's not included in it.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)  It seems to have been discussed for a long time without reaching a consensus:

   https://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/95

In this context, I'm interested that when modulo is specified without a value, like so

define axis/t0=1-JAN-0001/calendar=noleap/edges/t=0:365/npoints=73\
     /units=days/MODULO pntd

Ferret saves this axis into a netCDF file with

    PNTD:modulo = 0.f ;

The above time axis has gridpoints at t = 2.5, 7.5, . . . , 362.5 . Does this mean that

1) the span + Δt is taken as the modulo value?  If so,
       modulo = 362.5 - 2.5 + 5 = 365.

2) the calendar year is taken as the modulo value? In this case also modulo = 365.

Which is the case?  For the above particular case, the result is the same, but for other axes, the results will be different.

Also, is modulo=0 a widely used convention?  or is it only Ferret?

Best regards,
Ryo