Re: [ferret_users] building ferret configuring site_specific.mk

Hi Dave,

there are several options:

- if the machine you are working on is your PC, this is mostly /usr/local/bin and /usr/local /lib or /usr/local/lib64. The include files are in /usr/local/include. To check this, just issue

> which ncdump

This shows you the path to ncdump. The case this is /usr/local/bin just issue

> ls /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf*

to see the location of the netcdf-library. If you used some system installers they may be in /usr/bin, /usr/lib and so on.

The same applies for hdf5.

- if the machine you are working on is a server, just look at the same place first. Otherwise ask the system administrator

- if the libraries cannot be located, you have to install them by yourself. There is (was?) a description on the pyferret web page. Otherwise you need to visit the szip, hdf5 and netcdf-webpages. For many unix-systems there are easy-install methods with the system management tools, but this depends on the linux flavour you are using.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Best,

Martin