Re: [ferret_users] Ternary map

Hi Markus,

I think that you need to generate your own colourmap based on values and then encode
the information using integer arithmetic.

I'm attaching a sample (coarse) palette file that give a result similar to your attachment. It requires encoding 2 independent fractional values into a unique integer which is associated with a colour.

Run the TernaryDiagram script which and the define a new variable which encodes the fractional values into integers

 go TernaryDiagram.jnl
! mypal has a granularity of 0.2 (i.e. 6 levels)
! We fudge a rounding rather than truncation
let encoded_var = 10*int(fb*5+0.5)+int(fc*5+0.5)
shade/pal=mypal encoded_var

In a real case use your 2 variables rather than fb and fc.

To get more levels you may want to write a script which generates the palette automatically

Russ