[ferret_users] How to read ASCII data accurately

Hi,
I have an ASCII input file. One variable is the Julian day (from 0000) and looks like

734707.010069

Reading this with set data/ez I find

list/prec=10 v1

1   / 1:  734707.0000

which is not, what I would like to get.

I am using ferret_v6842_rh5, which should use real*8 accuracy for operations.

Is there a way to read ASCII data with the same accuracy?

I do not know, who had the idea to use this far away time origin, the data are as they are. Possibly
for compatibility with EXCEL.
For sure, I could edit the input file, remove the first four digits of the time variable and add this after reading the data. This workaround is fine for my example, but for a larger project I am interested in a
more general solution with ferret - if it exists.

Many thanks,
Martin Schmidt