Re: [ferret_users] animation on the fly with linux

Hi Martin, Ryo,
We have a big project in the works, replacing the X graphics with more modern graphics engines. Ferret's graphics commands will not change, and the plots look largely the same, with nicer-looking text. All kinds of improvements will flow from this, including more graphics file types, and we think that there should be a way to do animations again. That hasn't been explored but it will likely be the case. This work will allow for future expansion of the kinds of graphics Ferret offers.

So it does seem that the old methods of animations (other than creating animations after the fact with programs like whirlgif) are not currently working, but we may have other methods sometime soon.

Ansley

On 1/23/2012 12:51 PM, Ryo Furue wrote:
Hi Martin,

| [. . .] If BackingStore
| is disabled, ferret issues
| an error message as it should be the case.
| However, putting a line
|
| Option   "BackingStore" "True"
|
| into the configuration file,
| [. . .] the error message disappears, but an animation
| starts with a correct screen followed by a sequence
| of white screens.
|
| xdpyinfo gives

I've had exactly the same problem (on the testing distribution of
Debian GUN/Linux with the nvida driver).

I've just done a little research and learned that the save-unders
support has been removed from Xorg for some time:

   http://70.87.46.147/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2298639

That's why you can't enable it.

They say that backing-store is obsolete and that people should use
"compositing manager" (whatever it is) and they seem to have no
interest in supporting the backing-store business.

That suggests we cannot use "repeat/animate" on a new-ish
Linux operating system.

Regards,
Ryo